Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Reminiscing on my summer trip abroad #1

Now that the final year of the International Baccalaureate Program has approached and my high school career is coming to an end, sudden flashbacks of my 'last summer break as a high school student' randomly come and go. After two and a half years of departing London, Ontario, Canada, and moving to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, my family and I decided to temporarily return to our Canadian roots and spend two months of summer break in the flourishing and buzzing lands of London and Toronto Ontario.


The most vivid memory of this lengthy trip was the birth of my brother “Basim” on July 24th 2017. It was exactly at 1:04 pm that our lives, mine, my parents as well as my 15 year old brother, undertook a complete 360 degree turn to the better; the instant I met eyes with him, a rush of emotions gushed, emotions of happiness, joy, and exhilaration, and suddenly I felt this overwhelming desire to cradle him tightly in my arms. Instantaneously, from the first skin to skin contact, an immediate bond sparked and I was eagerly attached to him day and night.

In the infamous "Victoria Hospital", located in London Ontario, my mother's private hospital room was overflowing with blue “congratulations it’s a boy” balloons, multi-colored flowers, and boxes of chocolate. Also aside from these popular post-delivery norms, more of our Arabic origins and customs emerged when many of our Palestinian friends cooked traditional dishes, specifically this special post-delivery soup, and brought them to the hospital room. In addition, after my mother's departure from the hospital, we held a festive gathering and feast called a “Aqeeqa” in celebration of Basim's birth. We invited 50 of our closest friends over for a feasting that included a range of traditional Palestinian foods, such as spiced rice, roasted chicken, hummus, baba ghanoush, fatoush salad, and with the center of attention on the meat derived from two goats that were slaughtered in tribute to Basim's birth. Therefore the hybridity of my Canadian and Palestinian roots, in which their rituals immensely emerged through Basim's birth, in conjunction showcase the way of life and customs of one with dual identity.





No comments:

Post a Comment