Saturday, September 3, 2016

Who am I?

Good morning,
As you may already know, my name is Deema. I originate from a tiny city named Hebron, located in Southern Palestine. All the way through the fifteen years of my existence, I moved to many parts around the world at a young age, which really influenced my character, my perspective on life, and my development as a teenager, over the years. Firstly, I was born in Cleveland, Ohio in the US, where I resided for less than a year after my birth. Then I moved to Jenin, located in Northern Palestine, in which we stayed in for two years. After that, I settled in Sharjah in the UAE for 8 years, which was during the majority of my childhood. Subsequently, my family and I decided on a whole new change by moving sixteen hours overseas to London, Ontario, Canada, which we lived in for four years. Finally after all the major moves, we came back to Abu Dhabi in the UAE, which was in the year 2015. Therefore, this makes it my second year that I have been in Abu Dhabi and in Raha International School. I have many interests in which include playing basketball, reading books, watching movies, writing creative pieces, interior design, and "DIY-ing things". I have many big, yet achievable dreams in which consist of successfully achieving the IB with a score above 40, getting accepted into a high-ranked university in Canada, mainly Toronto University to study medicine, attaining a high-paying job as a doctor, and finally live happily and connect with family. Despite my high expectations and visions in life, I have high hopes and determination in achieving them. I believe that as long as I am successful, while living happily, this would exceed my life goals. In addition to my life goals, language to me is a very huge part of my everyday life as I am very fluent in both Arabic and English, and speak both at home. But since Arabic is my mother tongue, I was taught English at a very young age, as my parents and I believe that it is a vital part of global communication. Ironically, I now face some struggles towards Arabic more than English. However, I am very grateful for learning English at a very young age as it has helped me a lot in my life, especially during the time period in which I lived in Canada. In addition, studying in Canadian universities, and most high-ranked universities in fact require English speaking students in which have a strong language. Therefore, studying language is vital in terms of writing and completing work at school and university.   

2 comments:

  1. I wonder why non-native English speakers abroad tend to gain a greater proficiency in English rather than their mother tongue. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that we spend more time communicating in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an enjoyable introductory post. I particularly enjoyed your enthusiasm for University of Toronto- where I studied Education. I believe that your experience as a bilingual student will make much of the content of this first unit very relatable.

    ReplyDelete