Monday, September 19, 2016

A Good Name

Dear Diary,

Today, by the light of the vivid yellow sun, I blissfully awaken to the splashing sound of the jewel-blue stream trickling across the serene countryside. In that moment, goosebumps immediately bloomed, and a boisterous electric current, transmitted through my veins, as I recalled that today I will be collecting my designed clothing pieces from the fashion designer.

As soon as I entered the little vintage shop, a huge smile cracked on the old lady's face, and a conversation instantaneously set off.

"So you're Deema", the lady exclaims. "What a beautiful name you got!"
"Why thank you", I responded politely.
"Where are you from Deema?" she immediately interrupts.
"I originate from Palestine, actually."
"Hmm…interesting. I am really wondering, what is the relation between your name and Palestine?"
The old lady had many unexpected yet exciting questions, "Actually, my name is considered to be very sacred in Palestine, as "Deema" signifies a rain cloud, heavy with blessed water or rain drops. There, they really value the rain, as it is their source of water for drinking, farming, washing, and for other basic uses."
She nods very slowly, and proceeds to handing me the many clothing pieces.


After my appointment was effectively done, I contemplated about her previously asked questions about my name and Palestine, as she really reminded me of how significant my name is to my culture and its linkage with my personal identity overall.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the way that you explained the significance of the name Deema into a story. The story caught my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Heavy with blessed water or rain drops" this is a very nice description and link to the religious connection with your name.

    ReplyDelete